No doubt if you are doing business in the tourism industry in Newfoundland and Labrador, you have heard the term TAP before! TAP is the Tourism Assurance Plan. Simply put, TAP outlines five minimum standards that every tourism business must meet in order to be included in the marketing strategy of NL Tourism or to partake in any provincial or regional tourism organization such as Hospitality NL, or any of the five regional Destination Management Organizations (Destination St. John’s, Legendary Coasts of Eastern Newfoundland, Adventure Central, Go Western Newfoundland, Destination Labrador).
What are the five standards? We have the basics listed below but you can check them out in their entirety here.
Why are they important? Newfoundland and Labrador needs to compete with national and international destinations to keep visitors coming here to experience all of the rugged beauty and culture we have to offer. These are not rocket science, they are minimum standards that any professional business would have in place.
- Communication: Business email address? Phone? Answer them regularly and professionally? Accept debit, credit or an emt (electronic money transfer)? Of course you do, afterall you are a business and you WANT people to contact you, and many travelers do not carry cash! CHECK
- Have a license to operate? We would hope so! CHECK
- Liability Insurance? One of those things that you hope you will never have to use….but are very happy you are covered in case the unthinkable happens! CHECK
- Deliver the actual experience you are promoting? Of course you do, you are proud of the product you are offering and you want to share it with the world! CHECK
- Complaints? No doubt you will get some complaints, but responding to them is key to any successful business. CHECK
So there you have it, five minimum standards that help us deliver on our NL brand promise because #QUALITYMATTERS!
If you have any questions on TAP, please contact us. We love to talk tourism!