When you receive a grading in Canada Select, there are many (many!) different areas that are subject to inspection. You can always check out a complete list of the scoring in our Operator’s Manual, or feel free to contact us for any questions. However, something that operators may not realize is that every accommodation does not have to fit the same “cookie cutter” style. We have a very unique culture in Newfoundland and Labrador and we are proud to show this off to travelers in our fine province!
Over the past number of years, our accommodation ratings program has been updated to reflect the quality of the accommodation, without penalizing operations for lack of certain amenities. One thing that remains constant is that “feeling” you want travelers to experience when they stay with you. You know that polished look that sort of takes your breath away when you walk in the door? Obviously the decor should match the accommodation, a traditional Newfoundland vacation home would have different decor than a contemporary inn.
Whatever your decor, ensure you have quality pieces that match the feeling you want your guests to bring home with them in their book of memories. Here are some tips that can help you achieve that desired feeling:
- Quality doesn’t always mean expensive! Think sales, local craftspeople, rustic decor, online suppliers and homemade items.
- Consider how much use the decor will get, for example blinds that are put up every morning and closed every night day after day (after day after day!) will see wear in no time and are worth the investment for a more quality product.
- Throw pillows, a cozy blanket for a cool summer evening or the addition of a fuzzy rug at the end of the bed all contribute to a finished look.
- Lighting is an important factor in setting the mood for any room. Soft lighting and quality light fixtures / lamps will help you achieve your desired look.
- Try not to over clutter, less is more (and less dusting for you!)
- While we love to open the curtains and let the glorious sun shine in, window coverage is very important for travelers! Ensure you have quality window coverings that will provide privacy, especially in guestroom/bathroom areas.